Friday 5 August 2011

Auction fever?

During a visit to Lawrence auctioneers at the end of July I was surprised by the stir caused when lot number 3170 (Collinson Admiral Sir Richard. Journal of H.M.S Enterprise) came under the hammer.  During the viewing I had given the lot no more than a cursory glance being far more interested in several lots of children’s books so when it sold for more than £17,000 I was just a little curious! A report in today’s paper has finally satisfied my curiosity…

Ironically it was a book printed within the Arctic Circle in 1853 that drew the hottest bids. No fewer than eight collectors booked telephone lines to bid for the slim 24-page pamphlet detailing events aboard Admiral Collinson's HMS Enterprise during its search for Sir John Franklin's tragic lost 1850 expedition to find the elusive North West Passage. Printed on board the Enterprise by the ship's coxswain Henry Hester on thin sheets of green Chinese paper, the booklet was tucked inside another book printed in 1889. "It is not only a very rare book but it was in exceptional condition," said Rose. "It might not have been touched for 120 years." After some spirited bidding and some determined perseverance above £10,000, the lot was bought for £17,920 to yield the day's highest price.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for following my blog! I followed you back. Your blog is so interesting! I don't think I've seen anything like it so far in my blogging history. And it's cool. :)

    Alexis
    YA Books Beyond the Cover
    http://yabooksbeyondthecover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. barbaraannefisher6 August 2011 at 08:04

    Thanks Alexis that's a lovely thing to say!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Collette Scott37 August 2011 at 15:10

    I have some old poetry books that my grandfather brought with him from Ireland when he immigrated to the US (I think I got my storytelling gene from him, too). I love those books so much, and I don't think I could ever part with them. To hold that piece of history in your hands is just awe-inspiring. If I had the money, I think I would be a collector too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. barbaraannefisher7 August 2011 at 15:33

    I’m glad you have some of your granddad’s books they are such a lovely personal thing to hold on to. I have one or two that belonged to my grandma Daisy they are not worth anything in monetary terms but they are worth a fortune to me.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Barbara xx