Thursday 29 December 2011

Added value; Found in books - Fairy Music



Today’s 'added value' is the front part of a birthday card with fairy music by Enid Ford printed on the reverse.  I assume someone threw away the part with the greeting (such a shame) and used this part as a makeshift bookmark. Found in;



The house with the twisting passage by Marion St. John Webb is now sold, thank you for your interest.

I've been intrigued by this book for a while so decided it was time to read it.  It's a strange story about a little girl who is sent to stay with her Aunt Abbey in a grand old manor house. Jenny discovers a wonderful twisting passage on the second floor. When she peeps into each of the rooms along the passage, she finds the furniture covered with sheets and the shutters closed. Jenny makes up stories about each of the imagined occupants of the rooms…but maybe they aren’t imagined after all.


Have you read the house with the twisting passage? Or anything else by Marion St John Webb?

9 comments:

  1. I haven't read it but it sounds great! A little mystery read... when was it published out of curiosity? Also, how cute if the fairy music card found inside it? And I agree, what a shame that the greeting was discarded.

    Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read it either and I think it's intriguing. The period, the mystery, a little girl wandering in an old manor house ~ could it be my own fantasy had been written by someone else long ago? (I'll have to look for this book. I hope my library carries it ...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. barbaraannefisher29 December 2011 at 15:43

    It was first published in 1922 but the scan I’ve used is from a later edition, probably 1950s. The fairy card was half way through the book so I wonder if the previous owner gave up before the end. I love finding things in old books; I even enjoy the dedications especially if they are sweet or funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. barbaraannefisher29 December 2011 at 16:30

    I’ve just looked at my copy and it’s a reprint from 1955 published by Collins. The first edition was published by Harrap in 1922. If your library doesn’t have a copy they may need that information to try to locate one. I would be interested to know what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that there was fairy music in your book! How cool! I have not read The House with the Twisting Passage- but it sounds like a book I would love! I find old manors fascinating and this story sounds great. I haven't read anything else by this author- but I have jotted it down to look for something soon!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. barbaraannefisher30 December 2011 at 08:07

    I loved finding it too. The little round house is another excellent book by Marion St John Webb this is from the introduction...A Pillar-box. A quite ordinary-looking pillar-box. Or was it? That was what Robin was to find out. And without this ordinary - or extraordinary pillar-box there could have been no story - no funny, fantastic adventures with Mr. Papingay, and the Home-made fairy, and Penny and all the rest of them...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the card and am intrigued by that book. How fun! But 'Bunch never misses his afternoon tea' sounds like, well, my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. barbaraannefisher1 January 2012 at 09:22

    Cecil Aldin captures Bunch perfectly – I love the story and the illustrations. I think Bunch should be everyone's cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Old books are so interesting aren't they? I love finding things in them as well and if there's a greeting or dedication of some sort that's even better. Some people just write their names which is a tad boring! I might look this book up, it sounds so interesting and I can't believe whoever was reading it may have given up halfway through!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Barbara xx