Tuesday 16 October 2012

Rene Cloke postcards

from my collection;

A bedtime story from the "Rene Cloke" fairy series published by Valentine's

One night I peeped through the window just after I went to bed, I ought to have been in my cot, I know, my pillow beneath my head; But somebody seemed to whisper "Come!" and so I made up my mind, climbed out and tiptoed across the floor, and lifted the old red blind. It wasn't dark as some nights are, for up in the purple sky the round moon showed me her battered face: it didn't seem very high. And all the trees that I know so well looked funny, and far, and white; and all of them murmured, "Hush! hush! hush! We can't make a noise to-night."  
The Star Lighters "Rene Cloke" fairy series published by Valentine's 

I wasn't afraid, not quite afraid, but I wasn't as bold as brass, when I looked, and I saw a shining sight out there on the silver grass. And, oh! I think I shall never see such a beautiful sight again, as the wonderful shining sight I saw when I looked through the window pane. In the place of the garden arbour, with its walls, and its seats of wood, and its thatched roof covered with creepers, a marvellous palace stood: I seemed to have known it always (though it couldn't be ages old), with its pillars of rainbow crystal, and its towers of polished gold.

Sunrise another from the Valentine's "Rene Cloke" fairy series

Then a voice said, "Look at the fairies!" and out in a troop they came; I had seen them by dozens in picture-books, and these were the very same. The same, only much, much better, for these were alive, alive; and the sound of their little voices was the buzz of a big bee-hive. For oh! They shouted and tumbled, and frisked, and fluttered, and played: A jolly, delightful romp, they had, and nobody seemed afraid; And I, who had held my breath so, just didn't I want to go and join in the games they played at out there on the lawn below!

An elfin serenade Valentine’s Rene Cloke 


I have seen my mamma wear jewels, and these were like jewels bright, like opals alive and leaping all over the grass at night - when clear from the golden palace came sounding a trumpet's call, and they fell into lines like a regiment, and stood at attention all. And wasn't there lovely music, the music that makes you cry. The music mamma sings softly - she calls it a lullaby. And riding a mouse-sized charger, the tiniest ever seen, out pranced to her faithful fairies the beautiful Fairy Queen.

Snowflake fairies Valentine's Rene Cloke postcard

To think I should see her really - to think I should see her there as I peeped through the bedroom window, perched up on a bedroom chair! I was only a little girl, you know, and I think it was very kind to let me look at the Fairy Queen when I lifted the old red blind. But just as I said, "I'll ask her up to come to my room and play; and won't we have romps at night-time, and won't we have fun by day!" A black cloud covered the moon's face, and I - I was back in bed (but I never knew how I got there) with my pillow beneath my head.
Fairies on the lawn (a child's recollection) by R. C. Lehmann

The featured postcards are from my collection and not for sale.

30 comments:

  1. These are just wonderful - lucky children who received these postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. barbaraannefisher17 October 2012 at 01:00

    Thanks Alex, lucky me to be able to enjoy them now and thank goodness they were careful children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara... these are just over the top adorable! How lucky you were to find them! I must pin the last one.. the Snowflake Fairies to my fairy board on pinterest. You just don't see too many winter fairy artworks ~Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just realized why the name was so familiar, yesterday I was taking photos of some books...getting ready to list and one is illustrated by Rene Cloke, it is The Night Before Christmas (1980). I thought it was interesting because there are fairies in it which I had never seen associated with this poem before. Now I know why!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Barbara - these are absolutely stupendously wonderful. I love the extracts you have included in between - my favourite is the arbour turning into a fairy palace. I'm so pleased you decided to post more of your postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so unique and beautiful! They sort of remind me of Brian Froud- but a these fairies seem a little more cheerful : ) Thanks so much for sharing! ~ Jess

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable story. And I love these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky Duck to own these adorable cards.

    This is the first time I've seen postcards illustrated by Rene Cloke.

    Thanks for sharing them....just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these! Especially The Star Lighters and Snowflake Faries! What beautiful postcards and lovely stories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Desert Rocks17 October 2012 at 05:15

    The postcards are of course delightful and I really enjoyed the little stories by R.C. Lehmann. Thank you for sharing it and I hope some of this beauty will go into my long term memory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. barbaraannefisher17 October 2012 at 10:03

    Hi Diane, I’m so pleased you are going to pin the Snowflake fairies – its really pretty and deserves to be seen! I store them in an archive box in acid-free covers, but they only get looked at on high days and holidays so its lovely to be able to share.

    ReplyDelete
  13. barbaraannefisher17 October 2012 at 10:07

    Hi Diane, I have that book in my collection. It's really beautiful. I've collected her artwork for years and have more than three hundred books and around a hundred postcards as well as some original drawings and sketches. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. barbaraannefisher17 October 2012 at 10:11

    Thanks Sharon, stupendously wonderful is a fantastic expression – and I agree with you. They really are stupendously wonderful!
    I’ve always loved those words, and they just seemed to go with the postcards, so I was pleased to be able to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. barbaraannefisher17 October 2012 at 10:14

    Hi Jess, you're right they are reminiscent of Brian Froud – I hadn't noticed that. I'm happy to share – it’s a bit like showing of my holiday ‘photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. barbaraannefisher17 October 2012 at 10:15

    Thanks Donna, your comments are always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. barbaraannefisher17 October 2012 at 10:19

    Hi Michelle, I’ve not heard that expression in ages, but I agree – I’m a very Lucky Duck!
    There are lots more like these – so watch this space.

    ReplyDelete
  18. barbaraannefisher17 October 2012 at 10:30

    Thank you! Thanks for calling in.

    ReplyDelete
  19. barbaraannefisher17 October 2012 at 10:40

    Thanks Stephanie, I’m glad you enjoyed them. They are some of my favourites, and I just love the words.

    ReplyDelete
  20. barbaraannefisher17 October 2012 at 10:46

    Thank you Eve, what a lovely comment!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't think I could ever tire of looking at illustrations like these. Lovely, sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  22. barbaraannefisher17 October 2012 at 15:43

    Thanks Bish! Thanks also for visiting and commenting. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have one of these from you, Barbara, and I use it as a bookmark. Each time I open up my books, I see it and smile and smile. It reminds me of how sweet childhood was and how sweet you, my friend, are. Gorgeous cards here.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Barbara! Thanks for following :D following back
    Great site!
    Nette’s Bookshelf Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Barbara - thanks for the suggestion earlier today - I googled Fritz Baumgarten and the images I found do look very similar. I just wish I could stumble across the same pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  26. barbaraannefisher19 October 2012 at 16:08

    I agree they are similar, but not similar enough to say they are by him. Stumbling across the actual images would be wonderful, especially if they were attributed to a particular artist.

    ReplyDelete
  27. barbaraannefisher19 October 2012 at 16:11

    Hi Claudine, I’m really pleased you are able to use it, and that it makes you smile. Thank you for leaving such a lovely comment – you made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. barbaraannefisher19 October 2012 at 16:13

    Thanks Nette, hope to ‘chat’ with you again soon. Barbara : )

    ReplyDelete
  29. barbaraannefisher28 October 2012 at 14:17

    Hi Leanne, I entirely agree with you. Thanks for calling in.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Barbara xx