Monday 7 October 2013

The Famous Five and other Newly listed Books

My end of summer sale went really well so now it’s time to start replenishing the shelves. This is a quick preview of some of the newly listed items. 

I thought I would start with this collection of Famous Five books by Enid Blyton because they look so good on the shelf. They are from the 1950s and 60s with dust jacket art by Eileen Soper. 


I learnt to read with Janet and John, and now they’re back! Off to Play is a 1st of the new edition complete with the wraparound band. Published by Summersdale Publishers in 2007. No previous ownership marks, pages and illustrations bright. This classic early reader provides a trip down memory lane and a reading treasure to share with the children of today. 


Teddy Bear Coalman paperback edition published by Picture Puffins in 1985. Teddy Bear Coalman spends his day delivering coal on his cart, drawn by his horse that goes clippity-clop, clippity-clop!
Teddy Bear Coalman is now sold, thank you for your interest. 

Clever Bill by William Nicholson When Bill Davis gets left behind during the packing of Mary's suitcase, he decides to find his own way to Auntie's house. Hardback book with dust jacket published in 1999. Scarce. Clever Bill is now sold, thank you for your interest.

Tiddalick the Frog by Susan Nunes illustrated by Ju-Hong Chen. Long ago in the Dreamtime, there lived a gigantic frog called Tiddalick. He was so big his shadow turned day into night, so powerful his voice drowned the thunder, so heavy that a single hop shook the ground for miles around. One-day, Tiddalick drank all the fresh water in the world… Tiddalick the Frog is now sold, thank you for your interest.

Dean's A.B.C of Wild Flowers published in 1963. Colour illustrations on each page. Verses by Margaret Barr - A is for Arum, called Cuckoo Pint too; the spots on its leaves are a purplish blue. F is for Foxglove, so stately and tall, its pink flowers are seen by hedge and by wall. Dean's A.B.C of Wild Flowers is now sold, thank you for your interest.

Bertie's Escapade by Kenneth Grahame with illustrations by Ernest H Shepard. Bertie the bold black pig is roused by the church bells. It’s nearly Christmas, and the sound of the bells encourages Bertie and his friends Peter and Benjie the rabbits to try a little Carol singing. However, as Peter doesn't know many Christmas Carols and Benjie can’t sing they don’t do very well. The situation isn't improved when the owner of the first house they visit sets the dogs on them! Bertie's escapade is now sold, thank you for your interest.

Scarce early copy of Jack and Nancy written and illustrated by Quentin Blake. Picture Puffin edition published in 1974.  Jack and Nancy often listened to sailors' tales of exciting far-away places where parrots lived, and it was always hot. They longed to go and see for themselves, and one wet and windy day, when they were out with a very big umbrella...they did! Jack and Nancy is now sold, thank you for your interest.

The Happy Lion and the Bear by Louise Fatio with illustrations by Roger Duvoisin published by The Bodley Head in 1975. The happy lion and the bear is now sold, thank you for your interest.



The Pet Lamb by Johanna Spyri author of Heidi translated by M. E. Calthrop with coloured frontispiece and line drawings by Michael Ross. First edition. Eight stories, including the pet lamb, Toni the wood carver, Basti and Franz Eli, Mona the goatherd and Granny's golden rule. The Pet Lamb is now sold, thank you for your interest.





I hope you've enjoyed this quick preview. Thanks for calling in,

Update July 2016; March House Books closed on my retirement in 2015, but I'm still here at my blog, and I'm happy you are too!

34 comments:

  1. Awww, the Famous Five and the Pet Lamb are just so charming! I love the covers too, they would be darling all on one shelf in some little one's room.
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re not wrong there Jamie. They look adorable on my shelf at the moment, but I’m sure it won’t be long before a new owner is admiring them. Thank you so much for your comment, Barbara.

      Delete
  2. So many goodies there, Barbara! I really like the abc-book of wold flowers, it looks very sweet.
    I read the Five series by Enid Blyton when I was younger, and I loved those books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hilde, the Famous Five are my favourites too. I’ve managed to put together a nice collection for myself so am happy to sell these. The ABC is pretty and unusual; it’s the first copy I’ve seen so I don’t think there can be very many around. Thank you for calling in. xx

      Delete
  3. I loved the Five (and Dog) books and was always complainign to my mum when she wouldn't let me go off for weeks with my friends. It just wasn't fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a mum like that. I could never understand why exploring the entrance to an old tin mine in Cornwall was such a bad idea! Making dens in the hay barn was also frowned on. I can understand it now of course. The thought of all those bales suddenly shifting and falling still gives me nightmares! The only time I can remember my dad getting really mad was the day he found me and a couple of friends playing in the top of the grain silo. It was such fun hanging onto the sides while our legs were dragged down with the grain. The grain silo was locked and bared from that day on, so it did some good! It's how much danger we put ourselves in when young – the thought of our son or grandchildren (or any other child) doing that gives me palpitations!

      Delete
    2. When I worked for Warrington Police someone I knew won a bravery award for going into a silo to rescue a man who had fallen in. It was horrendous to think that the grain would just suffocate and crush. I don't think the man survived.

      Delete
    3. At the time, I couldn't understand why my lovely dad was white hot with fury but when I think back to what might have been……

      Delete
  4. I LOVE BERTIE'S ESCAPADE! We have this very version and we got it from Kate and Nash when they were in Marblehead, Massachusetts! Hi Barbara! Happy day! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anita, I can understand why you love Bertie’s escapade – it’s adorable! You must miss that lovely shop so much. It’s no good you will have to pay them a visit in England! Thank you for your good wishes. Barbara xx

      Delete
  5. What a treasured collection these are. Books like this last a lifetime in our memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly do Donna. I'm glad you called in today because it reminded me to visit you - I will be over later. x

      Delete
  6. You have an awesome collection , Pet Lamb sounds like a very good book to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Aunt Mary, this is a nice collection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ~ A Wonderful collection, Barbara..LOVE , the Doll who came alive earlier post and I see some one else did too..( SOLD) Hugs Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs back Maria, thank you for your lovely visit x

      Delete
  9. Oh, the Famous Five, lovely stories. I know it was a bit far fetched even for my day but oh boy, didn't they have good times?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly did and I always wished I was with them! Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  10. I love when I come over here, if I am not introduced to something new then, as is this case, I am taken back to my childhood. I don't remember much about the actual story but know this was something I came across in primary school. Thank you

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad you found something you remembered. Thank you for calling in.

      Delete
    2. your welcome Barbara, always lovely to come by and see what you have found

      Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

      Delete
  11. I know that lady from your neck of the woods who needed Enid Blyton desperately but I understand these needs. Yesterday, at the library I was stuck in the children's book section and couldn't get out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eve,
      The children's section is the best section – why would you want to leave?? : )

      Delete
  12. The Famous Five do look excellent on the shelves. :) I still need to read them!

    I am glad the summer sale went so well! I love the look of Jack and Nancy. It sounds like a fun book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stephanie,
      There are so many books on my ‘must read’ list I sometimes think I will never reach the end, but I’m having fun trying! : )

      I was really pleased with the sale, much quieter now, but it may pick up again for Christmas.
      Thanks for your comment, Barbara.

      Delete
  13. I have enjoyed it very much! From the start, the Enid Blyton series made me smile. Like seeing an old friend again. My elder sister loved the Famous Five (there was a dog, too, I think). Then there are the books on Bill and the Frog, such persistence in the former and terrible mischief from the latter. Bertie's Escapade sounds wonderful, especially so since I learn it's from the Wind in the Willows author. (A star-struck moment for me.) So happy for you that the summer sale went very well. It's always a thrill to shop for new (and new vintage) books. I can't wait for my year-end book shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Claudine, thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed it! Yes, Timmy the dog is one of the five the others are Julian, Dick, Anne and George (Georgina). Your summing up of Clever Bill and Tiddalick the frog is absolutely spot on! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my post, I appreciate it. xx

      Delete
  14. Good morning special friend who loves the charm of a sweet book!

    Thank you for coming to play in the golden leaves. This is a time of year to slow down, to take in all the beauty like no other time. I guess each season asks that of us, doesn't it?

    I hope your weekend is filled with GOOD things to celebrate. Many hugs! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anita, thank you for your hugs and good wishes and I send them back to you with love! xx

      Delete
  15. Oooo - lovely Barbara. I LOVE the look of the ABC of wild flowers. That's really a book for me. I've got a copy of Teddy Bear Coalman somewhere - its exactly the same but mine is from the early 60's. The cover has faded quite a bit I think. The 1985 version must be an exact reprinting of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! Teddy Bear Coalman is a sweet book and quite scarce. The paperback looks exactly the same as the earlier hardback, but it is in a larger format. It was published by Penguin in the Picture Puffin series, and it looks as though they just stuck to their standard size. The ABC of wild flowers is also really pretty.

      Delete
  16. Oh Barbara! I love these posts with so many great covers, a pleasure!
    The first photo is fantastic! All those wonderful books with dust jackets and those images... All the covers are so nice but The Pet Lamb, my favorite!
    Besos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m really happy to know that Silvina, I do worry that maybe I show too many covers – so it’s nice to know you are enjoying them. The pet lamb is very sweet. Thank you for your visit. xx

      Delete

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Barbara xx