Tuesday 12 April 2016

Oliver Herford's Book of Animals - The Dachshund!

I can’t resist giving you a sneak peak inside this recently found book. I will be sharing more pictures soon. In the meantime, please enjoy the four parts of a lackadaisical Dachshund!


The Dachshund is the longest dog in the whole canine catalogue.
He is so long -
to show him here he must in Serial Parts appear.
This is Part One - observe his air of lack-a-daisi-cal despair.


I fear he finds it does not pay...



To wag a tail so far away!



Oliver Herford
Oliver Brooke Herford was born in Sheffield, England on December 2, 1860 (not 1863, as is widely stated) to Rev. Brooke Herford and Hannah Hankinson Herford. Oliver's father, Brooke, was a Unitarian minister who moved the family to Chicago, IL in 1876 and to Boston, MA in 1882. Oliver attended Antioch College in Yellow Springs, OH from 1877 to 1879. Later he studied art at the Slade School in London and the Academie Julien in Paris. Afterward, he moved to New York, where he lived until his death. Herford's cartoons and humorous verse appeared in journals such as Life, Woman's Home Companion, Century Magazine, Harper's Weekly, The Masses and Punch. Over 30 books illustrated by Herford, and frequently written by him as well, were published from the 1890s to the 1930s. He also wrote plays and was known for his humorous and pithy bon mots. Herford was a longtime member of the Player's Club in New York City. He married Margaret Regan in New York on May 26, 1904. Herford died on July 5, 1935 and his wife died the following December. [Source OhioLinkFindingAidRepository]


More pictures from Oliver Herford's Book of Animals coming soon…


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you go down to the woods today… 


The trees are in bud, and the woods are carpeted with anemones, wild garlic and bluebells. 


Pamphill a village near Wimborne, is a hive of activity in April and May. People flock to this small corner of England to enjoy some of the best displays of bluebells in Dorset. 


Last year we visited on a bright sunny day when the woods were alive with the sound of – people. This year we went on a dark, rainy day and had the place almost to ourselves. We got wet and we got muddy, but we wouldn't have missed it for the world.  

28 comments:

  1. You are teasing us with this little peek! Got to love a Dachshund ... my cousin has a Dach pup; it is just the cutest little thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marina, it was a bit of a tease, but they are also my favourite illustrations from the book, and I couldn’t wait to share them. I don’t know anyone who has a Dachshund, so I don’t know anything about them other than they look adorable.

      Delete
  2. Upon entering a little country store, a stranger noticed a sign on the door that read "DANGER! BEWARE OF DOG! " Inside he noticed a harmless old Dachshund asleep on the floor besides the cash register.

    He asked the store manager, "Is that the dog folks are supposed to beware of?" "Yep, that's him," the manager replied. The stranger couldn't help but be amused.

    "That certainly doesn't look like a dangerous dog to me," he said. "Why in the world would you post that sign?"

    "Because," the manager replied, "before I posted that sign, people kept tripping over him.". :).

    (Well..! Had to say summat)...! :0).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I’m glad you did say summat Willie, because as always you made me laugh, thank you!
      Thanks also for the link to thewoollydogblog, I’ve not had a chance to go over yet – but I will soon.
      Hope you are enjoying the lovely sunshine. x

      Delete
  3. What a cute idea!! I must admit, though, I've never met a dachshund who was that depressed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; they always look like very happy little dogs to me. :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely! I've always liked dachshunds, but have to agree this one looks unusually depressed.

    I was in England a few years ago in early April and marveled at how much was already so green and there were so many flowers, too. Our trees are in bud now, and we had some wonderful warm weather that brought out the pansies, hyacinths, and daffs, but then Jack Frost paid a surprise visit. Hopefully, some will survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alex, he does look rather down in the mouth doesn’t he – I guess it’s a case of ‘artistic license’.

      We still have a chance of frost here too but somehow the bulbs seem to cope with it. It’s the bedding plants that suffer I try to wait until after my sister’s birthday on the 20th of May before I plant anything even slightly tender.

      Delete
  5. The dachshund drawings are great! Sometimes it's nice to have a place to yourself even if you have to put up with some rain!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. It really was nice Darlene, so much better than the last time we visited. Then we could just hear people talking and laughing this time we heard bird song.

      Delete
  6. He appears to have an Eeyore type personality. Love the bluebells in your beautifully fresh, woodsy pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that first picture reminded me of something – how clever you are Marcia. He does have a look of Eeyore.

      Delete
  7. I would take the wet, muddy, people free day in the woods too! Sounds beautiful and I am sure it smelled great. :)

    I have a friend who loves dachshunds (she has had many of them over the years). I know she would love these pictures! Thanks for sharing. They are definitely long dogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sure you would have enjoyed it Stephanie. It was just so peaceful.

      I hope your friend has a chance to look at the pictures. We’ve never had dachshunds, although I’ve always liked them. Our neighbour has a pug; he is just the cutest little thing you ever saw.

      Delete
  8. Sweetest Barbara! HELLO!

    I have had a very busy two days, not allowing me to get enough sleep or visit blogs! Only work, driving to work, eating...but this is the break I love to take, to wander into blog worlds that offer such variety of creativity. What great illustrations! Are you enjoying yourself these days dearest?Thank you kindly for coming to visit my blog and my Instagram. That means a lot to me.

    Oh the fun of collecting books. One day Barbara, one day, I will go to England and meet you. XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anita,
      thank you so much for taking time to call in and say hello, I really do appreciate.
      It would be wonderful to meet and chat. I hope you make it soon! xxxx

      Delete
  9. Dear Barbara,

    Dachshunds are such wonderful little dogs and I look forward to seeing the book.
    Loved seeing where you went for your walk amongst the beautiful bluebells and wood.
    Happy weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carolyn, no more Dachshunds I’m afraid but there are some interesting and funny creatures.
      I always look forward to this time of the year, there is something magical about walking through a wood full of bluebells. Thanks for calling in. xx

      Delete
  10. Oh how lovely. This takes me right back to my childhood when more than anything my little sister wanted a dachshund.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi Tracy, it doesn’t sound as though your sister got that much wanted dachshund. It's hard being a kid and wanting something so much.

      Delete
  11. Ha! That book looks fantastic, and I adore your woodland photographs. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The bluebells were lovely. xx

      Delete
  12. I'm reading in reverse! Ha! Love those bluebells!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often do that! It's rather like reading a book from front to back. :)

      Delete
  13. Awe, the doxie! I once made my mom a pillow collection of five pillows each with a felt applique of a part of a dachshund. Three of them had rust colored rectangles! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. That dachshund piece was clever and I really like Oliver Herford's humour! As for bluebell walks, they are nice on bright and sunny days, as well as dark and rainy ones. There's just something about the smell of wet mud that makes me calm down and appreciate where I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more Claudine. I love country walks, wet or dry, and I always feel so much better for it. Have a lovely weekend. x

      Delete

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Barbara xx