Monday 30 January 2012

Newly Catalogued



I've been buying a lot of new stock recently and thought you might enjoy a sneak preview.


Sweeny's Adventure written by Joseph Krumgold and told by John Kieran. The story is based on the motion picture 'Sweeney Steps out'. Sweeney and Bombo a little toy elephant have quite a time of it on a visit to the Bronx Zoo. I was immediately attracted to the Tibor Gergely artwork on the cover. The colour illustrations inside are also by Tibor Gergely. Now sold, thank you for your interest.




These Lilliput magazines came from a flea market held at the Bath & West Showground. Each and every time I buy magazines I swear it will be the last time, there is so much work involved in listing them - but honestly, how could I leave these behind? Each magazine contains a compilation of stories, poems, articles, cartoons and photographs (some a little risqué). I will be featuring more of these in a week or two, once they are all listed. All sold, thank you for your interest.

I love vintage sheet music especially when it has a great front cover like this. Can't you just hear Woody Woodpecker singing ha ha ha ha ha, ha ha ha ha ha, that's the Wood-y Wood-peck-er song? The two female woodpeckers certainly appear to be enjoying the attention!
I've bought several pieces of sheet music this month but Woody Woodpecker and the teddy bear's picnic are my favourites.
Sadly, the teddy bear’s picnic is incomplete, the seller failed to tell me the centre page was missing. It's too pretty to throw away so I've listed it with a note about condition. The teddy bear's picnic and Woody Woodpecker are now sold, thank you for your interest.



This very different looking edition of Alice through the looking glass was purchased from a bookseller’s catalogue.

It's a centenary edition prepared by the Lewis Carroll Society, with text that has never appeared in precisely this form. It is basically the 1897 edition, the last which Lewis Carroll himself corrected, but also includes all Carroll's corrections for the People's Edition of 1887, which were somehow overlooked in the preparation of the final text. There are forty remarkable drawings by Ralph Steadman; the White Knight bears a striking resemblance to the familiar photographs of Lewis Carroll himself. Now sold, thanks for looking. 






I hope you've enjoyed this quick preview.


Update July 2016: March House books closed on my retirement in 2015, but I do still blog here at March of Time Books and always appreciate your visit. 

14 comments:

  1. Look at all these marvelous books and magazines. They all look fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What amazing finds. I look forward to your blog and seeing what treats you have for us! I love the sheet music and that copy of Alice in Wonderland! Fantastic! It must be so fun to locate these great items. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. barbaraannefisher31 January 2012 at 15:41

    Hi Jess, it is fun! I'm always at my happiest when at a book fair or auction or in a room full of books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. barbaraannefisher31 January 2012 at 15:41

    Hello Donna, thanks for taking the time to call in and comment, I appreciate it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Desert Rocks31 January 2012 at 16:53

    I love the animals that Tibor drew. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some wonderful additions. Wish I lived closer so I could stop in and browse. Love the cover of the Teddy Bears Picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. barbaraannefisher1 February 2012 at 08:41

    The Desert Rocks
    It's the first time I've found anything illustrated by Tibor Gergely but I will be looking for more. The animals are beautifully drawn. Thanks for calling in.

    Darlene
    It's a shame the teddy bears picnic is incomplete but the artwork on the front cover makes up for it.Thank you for your very sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent shares as usual, Barbara. I particularly enjoyed the Lilliput magazine covers. What curious finds you dig up at flea markets!

    ReplyDelete
  9. barbaraannefisher2 February 2012 at 14:03

    Curious but fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite is the sheet music with Woody Woodpecker! We see the pileated woodpecker here in the northern USA and I can see where the artist got the inspiration for the look and sound of the real bird. Great images!

    ReplyDelete
  11. barbaraannefisher2 February 2012 at 15:53

    I’ve just looked up the pileated woodpecker at allaboutbirds.org and can see exactly what you mean! They look nothing like the green woodpeckers we occasionally see in our garden. The pileated is much more flamboyant and looks just like Woody.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember Woody Woodpecker!

    Looks like you've got some great stock :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. barbaraannefisher4 February 2012 at 13:43

    Thanks Nikki-Ann. I remember Woody Woodpecker too and the song keeps going round and round in my head!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Barbara xx