Monday 18 March 2013

A colourful Life - Illustrations by Richard André

Last weeks 'doggy treats' post featured a book by Juliana Horatia Ewing called Papa Poodle & other pets. I purchased Papa Poodle along with sixteen other books from the same series each published between 1883 and 1885. The books were written by Juliana Horatia Ewing, and illustrated by R. (Richard) André.  I didn't know anything about the illustrator, but a little research suggests he led quite a colourful life;

Richard André, born William Roger Snow on 6th March, 1834 was the eldest son of a prominent London family. He entered Cambridge University in 1854, but unknown minor infractions forced him to leave the university within the year. In 1855, after spending his large inheritance, Snow joined the army and travelled the world. He published his first work in 1860. Titled Sketches of Chinese Life & Character, it was based on his observations and experiences while living in Hong Kong. By the early 1870s, Snow had become a playwright. By 1875, both his marriage and his military career came to an abrupt end as a result of his infidelities, causing him to assume an alias. Working as Clifford Merton, Snow began a prolific career as a writer and illustrator of children’s literature until his abandoned wife discovered his alias. After their divorce, Snow changed his name again. Thereafter known as Richard André he collaborated with the children’s author Juliana Horatia Ewing, his success as an illustrator continued on after Ewing’s death in 1885. André eventually branched out into photography and printing and became a successful businessman. He died in 1907 at the age of seventy five.    *Source; Drawn to Enchantment Original Children's Book Art in the Betsy Beinecke Shirley collection, Yale University.

A colourful life echoed in these wonderfully colourful illustrations;

From Master Fritz (now sold, thank you for your interest)

From The Three Little Nest-Birds (now sold, thank you for your interest)

From Our Garden (now sold, thank you for your interest)

From The Mill Stream (now sold, thank you for your interest)

From Dolls Housekeeping (now sold, thank you for your interest)

From Grandmother's Spring (now sold, thank you for your interest)

From Mother's Birthday Review (now sold, thank you for your interest)

From Touch Him If You Dare. This is my favourite illustration. The title 'Touch him if you day' is referring to the little hedge-pig (a young hedgehog) in the corner of the picture.


Thanks for your visit, happy reading!

The featured books are now sold, thanks for looking. 

30 comments:

  1. You always have the most wonderful illustrations and these are not exception. I also enjoyed the bio about the illustrator. Somethime it seems illustrators do such beautiful work, but the author is the one who gets the most credit. Yet the illustrations are half the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with this author/illustrator. Now I've got to look him up. What an interesting character he must have been!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting person, and such beautiful, charming pictures you have chosen, as always. Thanks Barbara for sharing these with us! And what a lovely spring arrangement in the main photo too btw

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling images! I especially love the one "From Our Garden"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Andrè must have been a colourful person, and his illustrations are beautiful. The books look so charming. Thanks for sharing, Barbara :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. barbaraannefisher18 March 2013 at 15:25

    I absolutely agree with you Alex. It's funny how many times I’m asked to find a book when the only thing the searcher can remember is an illustration or illustrations from it. I think the story ‘sticks’ in some dark recess of the mind but the illustrations stay printed on the forefront of the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. barbaraannefisher18 March 2013 at 15:28

    I didn’t know anything about him either but that’s half the fun of finding unusual books. The illustrations are so striking I’m surprised he’s not better known. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. barbaraannefisher18 March 2013 at 15:31

    Hello Jill, I enjoyed sharing them and am delighted that you took the time to take a look. I raided the snowdrops from the garden. I don’t like picking them but couldn't resist bringing a few indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. barbaraannefisher18 March 2013 at 15:33

    Hi Diane, that’s my second favourite after the donkey! Glad you enjoyed them. Thanks for calling in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. barbaraannefisher18 March 2013 at 15:37

    Hi Hilde, it sounds as though he was very colourful and he was certainly very talented. Thanks so much for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lover of all things hedgehog I'd love to get hold of a copy of Touch Him If You Dare.

    ReplyDelete
  12. barbaraannefisher18 March 2013 at 16:20

    Hello Tracy, if you like to click on the link under 'Touch him if you dare' you will find a copy for sale on my website. If you need further information please email me at books@marchhousebooks.com. Thanks for calling in and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. His illustrations speak volumes, don't they? Highly talented. I so enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. barbaraannefisher19 March 2013 at 21:44

    Hi Donna, they certainly do. Thanks for calling in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are lovely illustrations. I wonder what happened when he was at the University?

    ReplyDelete
  16. barbaraannefisher20 March 2013 at 18:56

    Hi Lindsay,
    I wondered that! If anyone out there knows – do tell!

    Thanks for your comment, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Desert Rocks21 March 2013 at 01:36

    I think I could stay here all day and just gaze at those illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  18. barbaraannefisher21 March 2013 at 22:21

    Hello Eve, the images are here to be looked at so please stay as long as you wish! I always enjoy reading your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  19. TOUCH HIM IF YOU DARE is a darling. My favourite is THE THREE LITTLE NEST-BIRDS, the calmest of them all, I think. Lovely, lovely paintings here, Barbara. Thank you for sharing Snow's works and a bit on his history! We could go on and on to judge him for his infidelity, but his life story sounds like a novel I would want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely illustrations! The one from Dolls Housekeeping is my favorite.

    Very interesting story and I like your first photo a lot.

    Besos!

    ReplyDelete
  21. barbaraannefisher22 March 2013 at 09:02

    Me too, I wish someone would write it! I think his paintings are seriously underrated, or at least largely overlooked. You always leave such interesting comments, thank you Claudine!

    ReplyDelete
  22. barbaraannefisher22 March 2013 at 09:16

    Thank you! I had fun arranging and taking that ‘photo. Doll's housekeeping is very pretty but then they all are so it's difficult to choose a favourite, but I think mine is still the one with the hedgehog and donkey.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have to say that I loved looking through the illustrations by R. Richard Andre and I learned so much about him from the post. The illustrations have so many unique details. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Stephanie, I’m glad you enjoyed them. My knowledge is increasing each time I start researching for a post, so we are all benefiting. Sorry again for the problems with trying to comment, it looks as though it’s sorted out now (fingers and toes crossed!)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Blimey Barbara those books are seriously wonderful!!!!!!

    I've also never heard of him before. Do these books find you or do you find them?

    By the way, your first photo is so pretty and clear, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Michelle, aren’t they mouth-watering? I just knew you would love them! I found them at an auction, ended up paying far more than I intended, but they were just too good to miss. I don't mind if they stay on 'my' shelf for ever! I am lucky because lots of books come to me – I get phone calls and emails all the time asking me to buy books. Often they are not my kind of thing but just now and then someone arrives with a box of wonderful books that make my heart sing!
    Thanks for your kind words about the first ‘photo. I am pretty pleased with it myself!I must have taken it about 15 times from 10 different angles to get it close to being what I wanted. There are still odd shadows and things that have no business being there, but it looks pretty and that’s what I was trying to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love these illustrations. What a very talented artist!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think so too. Thanks for calling in.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have just found a nice illo by Andre for Dean & Sons pioneering lithographed children's paper, The Little One's Own Coloured paper.
    Will post here ASAP:
    www.legionofandy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful I will be over to take a look. Barbara

      Delete

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Barbara xx