Saturday 12 October 2013

The Doll Who Came Alive By Enys Tregarthen Part II

If you remember my post from last week, you may recall I ended at the point where Jyd and Jane ran away from home. Lots of you left comments (thank you!) but Eve over at the Desert Rocks and Stephanie from the Secret Files of Fairday Morrow said they would like to know the ending. So without further ado….

Before the angry woman can say another word, Jyd and Jane are out of the house and away….. 


A few miles along the road Jyd and Jane are met by three tiny knights dressed in silver armour riding on milk-white horses no larger than half-grown rabbits. The first of the three knights springs from his steed and kneeling in front of the doll, begins to sing “To Mistress Jane, I bend my knee; the fairest of the fair is she!” With that the knight places Jane upon his horse and leaping up behind her rides away.


Jyd is determined to rescue Jane and setting off on foot runs through the woods and along a stream and eventually arrives at a vast heap of boulders placed high on the downs overlooking the sea.


Jyd is just in time to see the knights and Jane enter the boulders and disappear. The sun is setting, and the sky is aflame with splendour. Every granite rock and every little pool of water is reflecting the glory. But Jyd sees none of it for her heart is filled with woe at the loss of her doll, and her eyes are blinded with tears. Darkness comes, and Jyd falls into a deep sleep.  She sleeps for a long time but eventually wakes and finds herself looking into the eyes of a small familiar person whose red coat is as bright as the sunrise.


Jane tells Jyd the knights took her to a world full of small people where she met the King and Queen and spent her time sweeping the dust from the sky. But however do ‘ee get up to the sky?” asked Jyd in great wonderment.  “On a beast of flight” replied Jane, “a fairy creature not easy to describe”  


“It’s a lovely country with beautiful parks full of teeny-tiny deer and horses and beast of flight and all sorts of wonderful things. There are woods with fairy trees where teeny-tiny birds sing all day long in the branches, and there are streams that make music like the birds.”


Jyd thinks here heart will break as she knows Jane will never want to give up such joys to live with her again. “Could I go back with you to the world of the small people? I would be their willing servant, wash an’ scrub, an’ do all their work.” 


To this Jane replies “The Little Folk have no need of servants.” “But I'm not going back, my dear, even though the Dinky Folk wanted me and gave me this broom to ride away on. They think a live doll is the most wonderful thing in the world next to –“  “Next to what?” asks Jyd. “Jyd Trewerry who loved her and loved her till she was alive like herself! But I’d rather live in Cornwall with you and be happy as the day is long than in the world of small people without you.”




In the previous post, I mentioned the title of the first book written by Enys Tregarthen under her other pen-name of Nellie Cornwall. I said the title was Daddy Longlegs but have since discovered the correct title is Daddy Longlegs and his White Heath Flower. The illustration on the left is the front cover of a later edition published around 1915. 

Sharon from Sharon’s sunlit memories remembers another book called Daddy Longlegs set in America. Does anyone else remember it?  The only one I can think of was written by Jean Webster, but I'm not sure if it was set in America.  I have a vague memory of an orphanage or maybe a college?


The Doll who came alive sold very quickly and is now in the safe hands of a collector of children’s books. There could be no better place, and I'm sure Jyd and Jane will live happily ever after!

Selling books is often a solitary occupation but thanks to blogging I've met lots of wonderful knowledgeable friendly people. Thank you to everyone who takes the time to call in and comment.  In the words of my niece …You Guys Are Awesome!  

36 comments:

  1. Another great post I love "The doll that came alive" well done babs and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Agman, you always bring a smile to my face.

      Delete
  2. I love those illustrations. I hope you did well on Thursday; apparently the best book selling day of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny, I was just commenting on your post about sales on Thursday. I think I sold as many books as you did!

      Delete
  3. GOOD MORNING BARBARA! I am so happy to be here, alone on this fabulous Saturday morning. It has been a whirlwind of a teaching week, and this weekend though I have a teacher meeting (here at my home!), I am enjoying these few minutes here with you.

    This is the world I love and thank you for delivering it to me. Happy weekend my dear! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita, I know how precious time is to you so the fact that you spend some of it with me is heart-warming.
      Enjoy the rest of your weekend and try to make some time just for you. Barbara.xx

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful story and thanks for the mention. YOU are a living doll just like Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it’s the first time I’ve been called a living doll ... but I like it! Thanks Eve, after reading your comment and the one from Jess, I realised another post was needed. I have to say I enjoyed doing it so thank you for the encouragement.

      Delete
  5. The heroine of the Jean Webster book Daddy-Long-Legs was brought up in an orphanage then goes to college after an anonymous benefactor - the Daddy-Long-Legs of the title - pays for her to go. There was a lovely film adaptation starring Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron which has the same basic story as the book. Jean Webster was American so I should think this is the one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth, you have provided far more information than I was expecting. I’m sure Sharon will be over for a visit at some point to confirm it. I can’t believe I missed the film. It sounds like something I would enjoy. Are you Ruth from UK Book and Ephemera by any chance? If not, please forgive my presumption! Barbara

      Delete
    2. Yes that's me! I was a huge fan of musicals in my youth so that's probably how I came across the film.

      Delete
    3. I thought it was you! Thanks very much for your very helpful reply. Barbara

      Delete
  6. This is a wonderful book - as soon as it arrived I sat down with a coffee and read it through and I shall treasure it. Thank you Barbara for your lovely blog and website. I am so glad to have discovered you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen, what a lovely surprise! I didn’t think about you reading the post. I hope I’ve done your book justice! Conversing with you via email was enough to convince me that Jyd and Jane were very lucky to be moving in with you. Thank you for taking such good care of them! Barbara.

      Delete
  7. Lovely story, enjoyed the post very much, thank's for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aunt Mary, I’m glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  8. Hi Barbara - Ruth has it exactly right. That's the story I was thinking of. I saw the film many, many years ago when I was very, very small and then later I read the book. I remember it had the shadow of Daddy Longlegs on the cover (or maybe I'm thinking of the film poster - memories can be so confusing sometimes!) Thanks for giving us a follow on of your lovely Cornish story. I'm not surprised it was snapped up so quickly it looks so appealing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sharon, I can’t place the film at all. I think I’ve read the book, although I can’t remember any details so perhaps I just read about it. It was lovely of Ruth to comment. If you are reading this Ruth, thank you and thank you too Sharon, I always enjoy hearing from you.

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for providing the ending to the story. I love it! I'm glad the book found a good home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure, Darlene. Thank you for calling in.

      Delete
  10. Having caught up with the previous post, I'm so glad you posted the ending. Grat writing and wonderful illustrations,thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy, I enjoyed the ending so it was a pleasure to share it. Thanks so much for your visit.

      Delete
  11. Oh what a lovely ending to the story, Barbara. I will be able to sleep now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marilyn, thanks for making me smile! :O)

      Delete
  12. Awww, this is over the moon sweet! I love the illustrations, but I'm so glad you gave us the ending!
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jamie, it is a sweet book with a lovely story. I’m so glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for leaving a comment. Barbara

      Delete
  13. Fun post this time. Loved it. I've never heard of a book selling day, but I think it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Donna, thank you for your kind words. Book Selling day (or Super Thursday) is the day the publishing industry releases its best hardback hopes for the Christmas market. There are usually lots of celebrity autobiographies, cookery titles and the like. You know the ones, big glossy hardbacks that cost a fortune in December and are in the sales on Boxing Day!

      Delete
  14. What a wonderful treat at the end of a long day! It was such a pleasant surprise to come by for a visit and discover that I was going to get to find out how Jane and Jyd's story ended. I have to say- that was not what I would have predicted at all and I loved it! It was such a sweet ending to a beautiful book. I think their friendship is an inspiration and the book seems to have a wonderful theme. Thanks so much for sharing the ending. I am so happy the book ended up in good hands.

    I always look forward to visiting your blog. You are awesome, too!

    Have a fabulous Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie,
      I had a lot of fun sharing the story, and I’m very glad you enjoyed it.
      Thank you for your good wishes, I did have a fabulous Wednesday – it included a bit of Christmas shopping and a trip to the hairdressers – bliss! I hope you enjoyed your day just as much.

      Delete
  15. Another wonderful post - with perfectly lovely illustrations.

    I'd love to see more of the Daddy Longlegs book.
    I'll bet the illustrations are gorgeous!

    I hope you're well and enjoying your week : ) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne I always appreciate your lovely comments.
      I’m looking out for a reasonably priced copy of Daddy Longlegs, if I find one, I will be happy to blog about it.
      I am well and enjoying life, thank you. Hope the same is true for you.

      Delete
  16. Such a beautiful story. That little doll is so sweet. I enjoy the story a lot.
    Besos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Silvina, I’m so glad you enjoyed it. Barbara.

      Delete
  17. Oh, such a sweet ending. Thanks for letting us know how that story ended. To echo your niece, You Are Awesome, TOO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claudine - I like being told I'm awesome!! I really enjoyed sharing the rest of the story, and I'm glad you enjoyed it too.

      Delete

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Barbara xx