Friday 5 April 2013

Take ten... Little Grey Rabbit Books

I recently bought a lovely collection of Little Grey Rabbit books by Alison Uttley (thank you Heather). Having finished collating and cataloguing them, I thought it would be helpful to share images of the front covers.  I hope this will be a useful resource for anyone interested in collecting the books or for anyone trying to complete a collection. I've also added brief notes about the original publication dates and a short synopsis of each story. I was going to include all thirty one books in one post, but it just went on and on (a bit like me!) so I've decided to split it into three posts.



No. 1 Squirrel goes skating first published September 1934, this copy a reprint published in 1963. Everything was frozen. EveNo. 1 Squirrel goes skating first published September, 1934.n the brook which ran past little Grey Rabbit's house at the edge of the wood was thick with ice. So Squirrel and Hare and Grey rabbit decided to go skating. Oh, what fun they had! But a shock awaited them when they got home!


No. 2 Wise Owl's story first published September 1935, this copy a reprint published in 1966. The hollow oak tree where Wise Owl lived was blown down in a storm and so Little Grey Rabbit and her friends set out to find him a new home.

No. 3 Little Grey Rabbit's party first published August 1936, this copy a reprint published in 1971. Grey Rabbit and her friends wanted to give a party like the one they saw through the window of the farmhouse, but they didn't know how. Then Wise Owl found a book called "how to give a party," with hide the thimble and forfeits and iced cake. Now they could have a party to remember....

No. 4 The knot squirrel tied first published September 1937, this copy a reprint published in 1964. Grey Rabbit and her friends wanted to give a party like the one they saw through the window of the farmhouse, but they didn't know how. Then Wise Owl found a book called "how to give a party," with hide the thimble and forfeits and iced cake. Now they could have a party to remember....

No. 5 Fuzzypeg goes to school first published in 1938, this copy a reprint published in 1970. Fuzzypeg the hedgehog has always wanted to learn how to write poetry, so with a mended blue smock and a satchel, little Fuzzypeg sets of for his first day at school ...
No. 6 Little Grey Rabbit's Christmas first published May 1940, this copy a reprint published in 1964. It had been snowing for hours. The trees, hedges and fields were hidden under thick blankets of snow. Little Grey Rabbit had to use her scarlet sledge to visit the market and buy presents for the family. In the woods is a lighted Christmas tree where all the animals will sing carols on Christmas Eve.
No. 7 Moldy Warp the mole first published August 1940, this copy a reprint published in 1966. While out walking Moldy Warp the mole discovered a tiny stone painted with a golden eye. When Little Grey Rabbit and the rest of the animals came to see the stone, they discovered a Roman pavement with a dolphin at its centre.

No. 8 Hare joins the home guard first published 1941, this copy a reprint published in 1970. 
Robin the postman arrives at Little Grey Rabbit's house with the news that an army of weasels is on the war-path. The other animals arm themselves with pop-guns and bows and arrows while Little Grey Rabbit makes herbal tea for the wounded.
No. 9 Little Grey Rabbit's washing day first published 1938, this copy a reprint published in 1969.  A perfect April morning and a perfect day for washing clothes!


No. 10 Water-Rat's picnic first published in October 1943, this copy a reprint published in 1962. Little Grey rabbit is excited to join Water Rat aboard his boat. They are going to travel down the river and then enjoy a picnic. Hare is going with them but as there is no room in the boat, he has to run along the river bank!


Next week - the next 10 books in the series here

29 comments:

  1. Cutest covers ever and I could easily find myself lost in those stories and the pictures all day. Thank goodness I'm an adult--otherwise I'd be begging for something like this, "Mom, I need more Little Grey Rabbit books!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mums answer to that would have been “she who wants don’t get!” thanks for making me smile Eve.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, these Little Gray Rabbit books look so sweet. Something tells me they didn't make it to "this side of the pond", or surely we would have discovered them. With a Children's Librarian for a sister and 3 generations (actually now 4) of a whole family that loves to read, not too many good childrens books get by us without notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea Little Grey Rabbit didn’t get to your part of the world. I am so used to everything being available on-line now and tend to forget times were different then. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Barbara.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely collection! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy, I think so! Thanks for calling in.

      Delete
  4. I remember Moldy warp. Does that me cool or just a little sad.
    It was a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger, you were born cool! Moldy Warp probably remembers you too - see you are even cooler than you thought!

      Delete
  5. These books look lovely and so familiar. I am not sure if I read them- or just feel like I read them. The series looks so fun and I would have definitely enjoyed these growing up. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, you may well have read them. The Little Grey Rabbit books were/are very popular and were published many times over. Thank you for looking.

      Delete
  6. I saw these on your pinterest earlier! I've never read them, but they look so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joleene, that's worth knowing - I always wonder if anyone is looking at Pinterest. Did you see my 'author friends' board? You are on it! Barbara

      Delete
  7. How cute the Rabbits are looking, beautiful covers ,great books you have Barbara ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Aunt Mary, I love rabbits and books so obviously I think they are cute, but it's lovely to know that you do too. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely adore the illustrations for these. I can't believe you have so many! The one for Little Gray Rabbit's Party is darling.
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie, I think they are darling too! I was delighted when I was able to buy the complete collection.

      Delete
  10. How wonderful, so many thanks for sharing these. It goes to say as yellow is my favourite colour I love the look of Wise Owl's Story but given my love of hedgehogs Fuzzypeg Goes To School is the one I'm hoping to be able to get a copy of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. Fuzzypeg goes to school is available to buy on my website www.marchhousebooks.co.uk, price £8.00 (eight pounds) plus postage/shipping. Let me know if you would like me to keep it for you. Barbara

      Delete
  11. These are so adorable, love this great collection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Diane, I had a feeling you might like them. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look like they're in excellent condition. What a find! Who doesn't love this series?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Donna, the condition is what attracted me to them. It's easy to find well worn copies, but these are beautiful. Thanks for calling in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't know them but I find them so lovely! Rabbits also so cute in children's illustrations...
    Number 3, with that little one sitting at the desk is so sweet!
    I think living closer to you would be a danger to my savings...haha.
    Besos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that one too. Little Grey Rabbit writing her birthday invitations with a feather pen always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Barbara, your Little Grey Rabbit books put mine to shame. It's not easy finding them with the jackets and in such good condition as your books.

    I've read a few of them and love the stories, they are a favourite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, I get offered lots of books, as you can imagine, and often they are very battered but these are just lovely. They are super stories. It took ages to list them on the website because I had to keep stopping for a read!

      Delete
  18. No, I haven't, but these books look adorable! I'd love to have a virtual cup of tea with you, Barbara. I read your last comment on my blog and was swelling with gratitude for a friend like you. (Baby Olive is set to arrive any day/minute now ...}

    ReplyDelete
  19. As a child I had the whole set and still have three now passed to my grandchilden.They were a defining part of my childhood and I love reading them now. Also Uttley's other books about Snug and Serena the two mice at the Rose & Crown. After 67 years they still give me a lovely warm glow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan, how lovely that you were able to pass them to your grandchildren. The Snug and Serena books are my favourites, they are just so pretty. Thanks for calling in and leaving a comment. Barbara.

      Delete

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Barbara xx