Monday 2 April 2012

Newly Catalogued

I've been busy buying lots of lovely new (vintage) stock over the last few weeks and thought you might enjoy a sneak peek.
Above - from top to bottom; Little Grey Rabbit goes to the sea by Alison Uttley with illustrations by Margaret Tempest, 1954. The best teddy bear in the world by Mrs. H. C. Cradock with illustrations by Honor C Appleton, 1960. The Rilloby fair mystery by Enid Blyton with illustrations by Gilbert Dunlop, 1965. Five go adventuring again also by Enid Blyton but this time the illustrations are by Eileen Soper, 1968. Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin, 1st or early edition, 1903. A Royal Cinderella a re-telling of Margaret Irwin's Royal Flush. The fascinating story of Minette, Charles II's youngest sister. Born in England as her father (Charles I) was being driven from his throne, Taken into exile as an infant she was destined never to return to England or to see her father again. Covering the privations of her life in exile to her sudden rise to prominence at the court of Louis XIV, where she finds and loses love.


There will also be a large collection of Puffin books listed over the next few weeks. The ones shown here are; from top to bottom The secret of smugglers' wood by R. J. McGregor, 1957. Norman and Henry Bones by Anthony C. Wilson, 1957. The white riders by Monica Edwards, 1956. Five proud riders by Ann Stafford, 1953. Long ears by Patricia Lynch, 1954. The condition of these is a bit mixed so be sure to read the descriptions before placing an order.

Others to be listed soon include - south country secrets, the young detectives, stormalong, a Puffin book of verse, Carcajou, street fair, and Treasure Island.



From left to right; Little Grey Rabbit's birthday by Alison Uttley with illustrations by Margaret Tempest, 1971. The naughtiest girl again by Enid Blyton complete with dust jacket illustrated by W. Lindsay Cable, 1960. I was lucky to find another copy of the magic faraway tree by Enid Blyton, the last copy sold very quickly. This one is complete with the scarce dust jacket. Published by George Newnes in 1965. Uncle’s tales published by Thomas Nelson, undated but c1928. A collection of eight stories by different writers the stories are, the fairy muffin man by Phyllis Megroz, Remember by M. D. Hillyard, Tommy and the gingerbread by Evelyn Hardy, the moor fire by Violet Methley, the bag and the bog by M. Emanuel Ropes, Tony's ride by Sibyl B Owsley, Daddy’s pipe by Honor Appleton, and Tad, Joey and the fat lady by Siby B Owsley. Lots of different illustrators including Honor Appleton, Florence Mary Anderson, A. H. Watson, Ruth Cobb and others.

The ‘Thelwell pony’ is from my collection. Norman Thelwell’s first pony cartoon was published by Punch magazine in 1953; his image of a little girl and chubby pony was an instant success and in 1957 his first book, Angles on Horseback, was published. My Godmother sent me a Thelwell birthday telegram when I was about nine or ten and since then I’ve had a passion for anything ‘Thelwell'.




Four more and then I really must get on with adding them to the website. Left from top to bottom; Fell farm for Christmas another Puffin book this time by Marjorie Lloyd Published in 1954. The Ladybird book of pets by George Cansdale with very pretty illustrations by Edward Osmond. Published by Wills and Hepworth in 1957. Little Grey Rabbit's birthday as described above and last but certainly not least the Christmas mouse by Miss Read 1st edition published in 1973. It's odd listing Christmas books in March but it's surprising how quickly the months go past.








Michelle from Vintage Cobweb said she would like a peek inside the Ladybird book of pets - so here goes.... 

Thanks for calling in. 

Update July 2016: March House books closed on my retirement in 2015, but I do still blog here at March of Time Books and always appreciate your visit. 

20 comments:

  1. All nice books Barbara, especially my favourite, Enid Blyton.

    Can't wait to get a peek at the Ladybird book of pets. I very much like the vintage Ladybird books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear you have the best job Barbara! And I love that copy of The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton. I actually just bought an old vintage copy from a second-hand store last week and I love it. One day I hope to collect all the titles and hopefully read them to my children :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. barbaraannefisher2 April 2012 at 11:15

    Hello Michelle, your wish is my command - see pics above. Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  4. barbaraannefisher2 April 2012 at 12:07

    Hello Megan, indeed I do – and I wouldn’t swap it for anything! Well done on finding a copy of the magic faraway tree it’s getting more and more difficult to find nice copies so you did very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for leaving your details on Clippings! The Giveaway results will be announced next week. This is an incredible site you have here. Am following you back! Freya

    ReplyDelete
  6. barbaraannefisher2 April 2012 at 12:35

    Thank you Freya, thanks also for following on Twitter – I’ve just followed back. Looking forward to reading more of your blog posts and Tweets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful illustrations for The Ladybird Book of Pets! It looks like you have been busy locating some wonderful books. I always loved Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm and your copy looks amazing. I have always wanted to read The Magic Faraway Tree. I didn't read it growing up- but have heard fantastic things about is since I have been an adult. I must read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everytime I come to your site I have such a lovely time. These illustrations, these books are wonderful reminders of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, Wonderful books! Beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't this fabulous. Its like Christmas and your birthday rolled up in one! I agree with Megan - you really do have the best job ever. I'd love to be able to spend my time doing something like this - the only problem is I'd find it difficult to part with anything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. barbaraannefisher3 April 2012 at 08:34

    Hi Jess, I’m sure you will enjoy the magic faraway tree it’s a lovely story. Rebecca of Sunnybrook farm has the most amazing cloth binding, with hollyhocks ‘growing’ up the spine, a cottage, hollyhocks and a meandering stream on the front, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. barbaraannefisher3 April 2012 at 08:36

    I’m so pleased you feel like that, it’s exactly what I was hoping to achieve. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. barbaraannefisher3 April 2012 at 08:38

    Thank you! I had a lot of fun taking the photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. barbaraannefisher3 April 2012 at 08:48

    Hello Sharon, It really is difficult parting with anything but Terry is very good at reminding me that we need to eat! I also have the bonus of enjoying the books for a while and then passing them on to someone who will love them. I collect books, postcards and ephemera, so I don’t sell everything, but what I do sell also helps to finance my collecting habits!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Desert Rocks3 April 2012 at 21:45

    Oh what fun you have with those beautiful books. I guess the Naughtiest Girl sounds like something I would relate to! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Look at all these marvelous books! I've always wanted a library that is wall to wall, floor to ceiling. Who wouldn't? Now I can picture a section just for these unique children's books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have enjoyed the preview tremendously, Barbara. The books you buy and share always transport me to a childhood I'd dreamed of and never had. And it's always so comforting to live it through these books and their characters. Gorgeously fun books here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. barbaraannefisher4 April 2012 at 12:40

    I do; I really do! I always thought I was the Naughtiest Girl, but I’m happy to hand you the trophy!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. barbaraannefisher4 April 2012 at 12:42

    Donna, I recommend a very large section for the children’s books, they always look so wonderful on the shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  20. barbaraannefisher4 April 2012 at 12:50

    Claudine, you always say such lovely things. It makes sharing so worthwhile. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Barbara xx