Tuesday 30 April 2013

Alison Uttley and Little Grey Rabbit; Week Three

I'm sorry if you are all bored with looking at these, but I wanted to include them while I had the full set. These are the final eleven books in the series. You can see the first twenty in two previous posts here and hereSome of my favourite Little Grey Rabbit books are in this selection. Can you guess which ones they are?

No. 21 Little Grey Rabbit's Paint-Box. First published in 1958, this copy a first thus edition published in 1970.  Hare found a sketch book filled with pictures and took it home to show Grey Rabbit. Then Wise Owl gave Grey rabbit a paint box and soon the animals were painting pictures for themselves.



No. 22 Grey Rabbit finds a shoe. First published in 1960, this copy a reprint published in 1962. Little Grey Rabbit finds a shoe in the meadow near her woodland home.  A tiny red shoe that would only fit an elf or a fairy...

No.23 Grey Rabbit and the circus. This a 1st edition published in 1961. One morning Squirrel, Hare and Little Grey Rabbit see what looks like a striped toadstool in their field. On closer inspection, they realise it's a stripy tent - the circus has arrived!

No. 24 Grey Rabbit's May Day. This a 1st edition published in 1963. Little Grey Rabbit is busy preparing for May Day, there's going to be a procession, songs and dancing around the May Tree.


No. 25 Hare goes shopping. This a 1st edition published in 1965. Moldy Warp tells Hare about a bright red, roaring, snorting kind of house on wheels (a red bus) and now Hare wants to go for a ride.  

No. 26 Little Grey Rabbit's pancake day. This a 1st edition published in 1967. Hare finds an old frying pan and Grey Rabbit, Squirrel and Hare decided to give a pancake party.  When all the pancakes are finished Hare finds another use for the pan…


No. 27 Little Grey Rabbit goes to the North Pole. This a 1st edition published in 1970. Hare has always wanted to visit the North Pole, and so he persuades Little Grey Rabbit and Squirrel to join him on a Polar expedition.
No. 28 Fuzzypeg's brother. This a 1st edition published in 1971. There is great excitement in the Hedgehog family at the arrival of Little Urchin, and Fuzzypeg is very proud of his new baby brother.  Mr Hedgehog makes him a hammock of rushes as a day-bed, and Little Grey Rabbit and all her friends come to visit the new baby..... Scarce and pretty Little Grey Rabbit book. 

No. 29 Little Grey Rabbit's spring-cleaning party. This a 1st edition published in 1972. When Grey Rabbit discovers a cobweb in the corner of her neat little house, she decides its time to do some spring cleaning. She enlists the help of Squirrel and Hare, but they soon receive some surprises when they discover various creatures have made their homes in unexpected places. Tommy Dormouse is hiding up the chimney; there is a bat behind a picture, a ladybird behind the curtain and daddy-long-legs on the ceiling.

No. 30 Little Grey Rabbit and the snow-baby. This a 1st edition published in 1973. It’s Christmas time, and the ground is covered in deep drifts of snow. Little Grey Rabbit and her friends decide to make a snow-rabbit, and as a finishing touch Hare finds a big snowball for the snow-rabbit to hold in its paws. Suddenly, out of the snowball tumbles a tiny white rabbit....  Super copy of very scarce Little Grey Rabbit book.

No. 31 Hare and the rainbow. This is a 1st edition published in 1975. Have you ever wondered what's at the end of the rainbow? Well wonder no more; join Little Grey Rabbit and her friends as they journey to rainbows end.


Two illustrators were involved in the making of these little books. Margaret Tempest illustrated the first 26 books and Katherine Wigglesworth the last 5.

My favourites? The ones illustrated by Katherine Wigglesworth.  Do you have a favourite?

24 comments:

  1. I LOVE "Hare Goes Shopping" but then, I love them all. Honestly, I have GOT to get up to my little library in the loft and find my collection to see which ones I have. Off now to teach in a second grade class at the French school. Don't you just love the world of children my dear?

    HAPPY or rather, HOPPY Day! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I do Anita! I’m longing to know what’s lurking in your loft – maybe you could do a post on what you find?
      I hope this post put a spring in your step!! Barbara

      Delete
  2. Another great selection, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pleasure is all mine! Thanks for calling in.

      Delete
  3. These are all wonderful. So pleased I am getting your posts again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Darlene, me too! I was missing your visits.

      Delete
  4. These are not at all boring, they are all so sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! I was worried about the posts being repetitive but as all the books are from the same series I couldn't think how to vary them. Your comment made me feel a lot better!

      Delete
  5. What a fantastic collection! Every time I come by and see your books, it reasserts the fact that I need to pull out my Berenstein Bear Collection! I think I am going to post according to color of the covers since that is how I always shelved them as a child!

    Cheers from B at http://brandysbustlings.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brandy, that sounds like a great idea. I used to shelve by size, tallest on the right and shortest on the left. I’ve no idea why! I like your idea much better!

      Delete
  6. The books are very sweet :) What a wonderful collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilde, glad you like them. Barbara

      Delete
  7. These books are so enchanting. I love the one where the shoe is found- it sounds like such fun! I am also curious about Fuzzypeg's Brother and the Snow Baby one. All of them look great and I have so enjoyed learning about this collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really good to know, thanks you!

      Delete
  8. Such thoroughly wonderful books, as always, Barbara!
    I’ve just been presented with the Super Sweet Award and wanted to present it to you! I know you have so many but I don't think you have this one? Forgive me if I'm wrong. If you would like to accept it it’s here: http://jilllondon.wordpress.com/2013/05/02/super-sweet-award/ To do with as you wish. You’re such a sweet blogger I thought of you straight away. It was really you that launched me into the wonders of blogging so I just had to say thanks xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill, I’m delighted to accept the Super Sweet Award. I don’t know anything about this one but will enjoy finding out. Thank you also for your lovely words – you just made my day! xxx

      Delete
  9. Oh! They are All lovely but the one who is cleaning and with the butterfly...so sweet! I guess how wonderful the images inside these books must be...Great collection! What a pity I'm not closer...
    Besos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favourite one of all! The illustrations inside are as pretty as the covers. It would be lovely if you were closer, we could share cups of tea (in some of your adorable china) and books!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Yes, it really is. Thanks for calling in.

      Delete
  11. If I had to choose Barbara it would be Hare Goes Shopping and I'm not bored I could look at them for hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle, that's very reassuring. They have been very popular and lots are sold already (I'm sad about that but don't tell anyone!) Have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  12. I loved every one of these covers, but I particularly like 'Little Grey Rabbit Finds a Shoe' and 'Little Grey Rabbit Goes to the North Pole.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed them. Thanks for taking a look. Barbara

      Delete

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Barbara xx