Friday 15 July 2011

Added Value: Things found in books part two

One of the additional pleasures of buying second-hand books is finding something interesting, sad or funny left behind by a previous owner.  People use all sorts of things as bookmarks (including bookmarks) and then forget about them.  I will be adding a new finds to this blog as and when I find them.

Let us stick together a card from 1946. Inside is a calendar and the following poem;

Can I bring you something different, something that will make you glad?
For you've had my wishes often, all my special greetings had. 
But I know no written message can convey such hope and cheer; as the one I'm truly sending - 
just "God-speed" for all the year.




I found the calendar in the above book.  That’s Mine originally belonged to ‘Alan', he was awarded it for his good attendance at Tugkingmill Sunday School in December 1946.

That's mine is now sold, thank you for your interest.

If you enjoy old bookmarks a visit to Forgotten Bookmarks is a must

How about you?  What do you use as a bookmark?  Have you ever found a lost bookmark?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara,

    It's good to come across another blogger from good old Somerset ( I live in Frome, which is right on the Somerset / Wiltshire border, about 5 miles from Longleat ).

    I share your passion for books, which I deal with on a daily basis in my role as volunteer for my local hospice shop. I confess that I am not very clued up about antiquarian books and rely on the internet for advice on pricing, although they are always a joy to look at.

    You would be amazed at some of the things people use as bookmarks, which get left in situ when the books are donated, anything from old tax returns to family photographs!!!

    I am always on the lookout for interesting bookmarks, as they intrigue me, but I have seldom discovered anything of real interest, although last week I found a bookmark from an Egyptian hotel of the 1990s, which was beautifully made.

    I shall be following your blog and look forward to reading your articles on a regular basis.

    Have a great weekend,

    Yvonne
    www.fiction-books.biz

    ReplyDelete
  2. barbaraannefisher15 July 2011 at 18:57

    Hi Yvonne

    Thanks for visiting. I am at Henstridge on the Somerset/Dorset border between Yeovil and Salisbury. It is a lovely part of the world as is where you live.

    Like you I find all sorts of things – some delightful some not so good! I’ve been putting the finds in ‘safe places’ for a long time so thought it would be nice to share. I’ve got one or two real gems so it will be good to give them an airing – I also think I will list a few of the nicer one’s on my website as I’m sure they deserve a new home.

    Thanks for leaving your link I’m going to go take a look at your blog now.

    All the best,

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found an amazing 1960s postcard from Mauritius in a book once. My bookmarks tend to be old train tickets, boringly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. barbaraannefisher16 July 2011 at 20:25

    Hi Ali B,
    Thanks for visiting
    It is nice to find something pretty or unusual but I also like old train tickets because they start me wondering about the person who took the journey and why they took it. It might just be work or back but on the other hand…
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Barbara xx